Summer will be making a grand prelude by Wednesday across much of the Great Lakes and into the Northeast, including Ohio. As the temperatures sizzle, people will flock to the pools and turn on the air conditioning. Mother Nature will be turning its furnace on, meanwhile. Highs will likely get into the 90s for many, as we see in the model run to the left on this page.
As the heat shifts east, a cold front will come behind it (as you can see with the cooler air mass in the Dakotas. This front will set off the risk of severe weather up and down the plains states and Midwest, as well.
The Burning Furnace – tips when ignited
As the furnace burns like July weather eastward, many people will be getting outside. If you will have the opportunity to be out in the heat, remember to keep you, your pets, and your children cool and hydrated. NEVER leave a pet in a vehicle, either. Additionally, if you will be participating in rigorous activity outside, be sure to carry extra water with you to stay hydrated. Each year, it is important that we keep ourselves reminded of the dangers of a seemingly harmless thing: heat. Research published in 2012 (Weather-related Mortality) shows that several characteristics can impact the mortality rates associated with heat; albeit, remains one of the natural hazards with the highest level of mortality rates.
As aforementioned, keep eyes to weather alerts, as well, for severe weather.
Tips for staying “cool” in the heat
- Keep extra water with you if you will be away from home – outdoors – for extended periods of time
- Keep pets cool, and never leave them unattended
- Keep children cool, and let them rest every so often
- Keep extra sunscreen with you for skin protection
- Find shade to cool down in every so often, if available
- Tranquil mid-week in Ohio; Cooler air returns briefly - December 19, 2017
- Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! (Great Lakes) - December 5, 2017
- Seasonable weather rolls on into early December for Ohio - November 28, 2017
- Fall Chill continues over Ohio; Quiet end to week - November 7, 2017
- Cool, seasonable weather keeps grip on Great Lakes - October 24, 2017
- Cooler west, Warmer east pattern to continue - October 10, 2017
- Hot and Dry now; cooler relief by weekend in Ohio - September 26, 2017
- Dry Tuesday, Wet Wednesday and Thursday in Ohio - September 12, 2017
- Cool down rolls into Great Lakes - August 22, 2017
- Great Lakes enters tranquil mid-week - August 8, 2017