It might only be early February, but a deepening surface low moving across the midwest will usher in a slight risk for damaging winds heading into Tuesday. As of now there is still some uncertainty surrounding the event’s timing and strength. But it is definitely something to watch for those living in the Southern Ohio and Tennessee River Valleys.
A surface low off the Colorado Rockies Monday deepens as it moves into the Great Lakes Region. The low is driven by an upper level disturbance, helping it intensify. The catch is that model runs have gradually decreased the overall strength of this disturbance, and with it, the strength of the surface low. This could impact how much moisture and energy this system has to work with.
Tuesday still has a favorable setup for showers and thunderstorms across the region. The surge of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico into the Midwest settles in for the day. A cold front associated with the low will help to generate showers and storms.
“…locally gusty/damaging winds will likely be the main risk with stronger storms, though marginal hail and even a tornado or two may also occur.” NOAA Storm Prediction Center
Storms that are able to become organized along the front will have the greatest chance of reaching severe limits. The largest area of development is to the east of the Mississippi River heading into the late afternoon and evening hours.
For those living in the slight and marginal risk areas, make sure to keep the forecast in mind Tuesday afternoon and evening. Once the system passes, high pressure will sink in, giving way to quieter weather to end the work week.
- Midwest In Bitter Cold to Begin 2018 - December 30, 2017
- Holiday Travel Forecast: Rain, Snow, and Delays Expected - December 23, 2017
- Deadly Thomas Wildfire Continues to Spread in California - December 16, 2017
- December Marks End to Destructive Atlantic Hurricane Season - December 2, 2017
- GOES 16: The Satellite of the Future - November 16, 2017
- Lake Effect Snow 101 - November 9, 2017
- Ohio Weekend Outlook - November 1, 2017
- Wildfires Continue to Roar in California - October 11, 2017
- 2017 Summer In Review - September 24, 2017
- Major Hurricane Irma Eyes Florida: Track and Impacts - September 7, 2017