Several cold waves across the eastern United States have plunged the region into a deep cold plunge, and the trend looks to continue heading into the new year. And the countdown might not be the only thing approaching zero on New Years Eve.
Over the past week, warm air from the west coast has been pushed northwards into western Canada. This has allowed the cold arctic air to flood southward into the United States. Patterns of this magnitude tend to stay in place for a week or more, and this system going to last into early next week. Wind chill advisories and warnings have been posted across all of the Northern Plains, Central Plains, and Midwest. Temperatures close to or below zero along with gusty winds will create dangerously cold conditions Saturday night through Monday.
Temperatures Sunday will struggle into the mid teens, with generally light winds out of the west. High pressure will keep skies mostly clear, helping to bump up daytime highs slightly. The real impact of mostly clear skies will happen with overnight with lows quickly falling. By 8pm, temperatures will be dipping into the single digits near 5 degrees, steadily dropping close to zero approaching midnight (ironic right?).
For those out celebrating the new year across the midwest, make sure to bundle up and stay warm. Dressing in layers and limiting time outside is definitely advised. Extended periods of time outside without proper attire can lead to hypothermia, and in severe cases frostbite. Overnight wind chills will reach close to ten degrees below zero. With the extremely cold weather, that gives just one more reason to celebrate the new year inside with friends and family!
- Midwest In Bitter Cold to Begin 2018 - December 30, 2017
- Holiday Travel Forecast: Rain, Snow, and Delays Expected - December 23, 2017
- Deadly Thomas Wildfire Continues to Spread in California - December 16, 2017
- December Marks End to Destructive Atlantic Hurricane Season - December 2, 2017
- GOES 16: The Satellite of the Future - November 16, 2017
- Lake Effect Snow 101 - November 9, 2017
- Ohio Weekend Outlook - November 1, 2017
- Wildfires Continue to Roar in California - October 11, 2017
- 2017 Summer In Review - September 24, 2017
- Major Hurricane Irma Eyes Florida: Track and Impacts - September 7, 2017