A front is going to hang across the Lower Great Lakes and Upper Ohio Valley this weekend with a few disturbances rolling through. This means severe weather and heavy rain chances are elevated.
Currently it’s pretty easy to notice the huge difference in temperatures north and south of the front. It will move back and forth across the region this weekend, but now temperatures south of the front in Kansas City to Cincinnati are well into the 80s. Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo and Chicago are just north of the front sitting in the 40s and 50s.
This major temperature contrast will help form a favorable zone for storms to develop tomorrow. The air aloft will be cold, so large hail is certainly a potential. Most of Ohio is under a Slight Risk for severe storms on Saturday as put out by the Storm Prediction Center. Eastern parts of the state have an enhanced elevated risk. This is where storms could develop in peak heating and produce large hail and very strong winds.
Scattered thunderstorms are likely in the afternoon and evening hours. They will move generally from west to east in waves. Where storms persist there could be some flooding due to lasting heavy rain. We see that many times with these stationary fronts.
The best chance of widespread rain across the region is early Sunday morning. The severe chance then is not super high, but rounds of rain and thunder will add up in rain gauges across the area.
You can follow me all the time for consistent local weather updates so you can plan around the forecast.
- Lake Effect Snow Possible Around Great Lakes - October 16, 2018
- WATCH: Hurricane Michael Heads Towards Florida - October 9, 2018
- Unexpected Tornadoes Strike Northeast Ohio Thursday - September 22, 2018
- September 2018-2019 Winter Forecast Update - September 21, 2018
- Hurricane Florence To Cause Devastating Flooding In Carolinas - September 12, 2018
- VIDEO: Erie, PA Snow Record Taken Away - August 31, 2018
- Perseid Meteor Shower Peeks Through Monday - August 11, 2018
- An Early Look Ahead To Winter - August 3, 2018
- SIMA Symposium: Snow & Ice Show In Cleveland - June 24, 2018
- Severe Weather Chances Increasing Saturday - May 11, 2018