A strong line of thunderstorms is currently developing across eastern Ohio, racing quickly into western Pennsylvania this afternoon. A TORNADO WATCH is in effect until 7 PM EDT for far Eastern Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, and northern West Virginia. Damaging winds will be the main threat but the threat for tornadoes will also exist as a strong cold front moves through the region.
The Storm Prediction Center will issue a new tornado watch for the magenta outlined area (above) soon. A warmer and unstable airmass and favorable wind profiles aloft will be sufficient for a few tornadoes embedded within the line. Additionally, heavy rainfall is also expected and localized flooding could occur. Strong to severe storms will move into central Pennsylvania by 4-5 PM and persist through the evening hours, with storms diminishing around 10 PM. By 10 PM, the severe weather threat is over, however, some strong storms may remain across eastern Pennsylvania and New York through midnight.
Here’s a look at our latest Futurecast:
Remember, a Tornado WATCH means that conditions are FAVORABLE for the development of tornadoes. It’s possible that a tornado could form at some point throughout the watch area. This is the time to prepare; begin placing your emergency supplies close to your safe spot. Remember to seek shelter in the lowest level of your home. If you have a basement, go there. If not, go to the most interior room of your home without windows, such as a bathroom or closet. Gather any last minute supplies you need such as, flash lights, batteries, water, blankets, food, and medication.
A Tornado WARNING is the time to take shelter immediately. It means that a tornado has been spotted or radar indicates that one could develop at any moment. When a Tornado Warning is issued, go to your safe spot and seek shelter. Tune into local radio or TV stations, NOAA Weather Radio, or another local source of media for updates.
- Risk for Strong to Severe Storms Tuesday - April 2, 2018
- Rain Changes to Freezing Rain Today; More Rain Expected - February 21, 2018
- Here Comes More Snow! - February 6, 2018
- Clipper System to Bring Snow to Ohio - December 12, 2017
- Major Pattern Change On The Way - November 29, 2017
- Wild Weather: Lots of Ups & Downs, Anything Goes - November 15, 2017
- Getting Your Weather Data from an App? Better Think Again! - October 18, 2017
- ISS Flyover: Two Great Passes This Week - September 26, 2017
- Hurricane Maria To Impact Puerto Rico Wednesday - September 19, 2017
- Hurricane Harvey Expected to Become A Major Hurricane Impacting Texas - August 24, 2017